“French is a language that turns dirt into romance” – Stephen King.
What does the word France bring to your mind? Imagine yourself conversing in French. Candlelight dinners. Soft syllables falling from your lips. Artistic streets. Music. And romance.
French is one of the most beautiful language in the world. We have selected 15 beautiful words with their meanings that you can use in your everyday life:
- Ange: angel
- ange déchu: fallen angel
- ange gardien: guardian angel
- ange des ténèbres: angel of darkness
- poussière d’ange: angel dust
- Âme: soul.
- Étoile: a star.
- Mère: mother.
- Confiance: confidence.
- Cliché: to stereotype
- C’est peut-être uncliché: It maybe a cliché
- nouveau cliché: new cliché
- Parapluie: an umbrella.
- Couture: sewing
- haute couture: high fashion
- Soliel: the Sun.
- Lune: the Moon.
- Dépaysement: The feeling of being in another place, city or country
- Silhouette: outline. It was derived from the name of a French finance minister, Étienne de Silhouette.
- Soldat: soldier.
- Retrouvailles: happiness of a reunion.
- Sirène: a mermaid.
Vinaigrette, vogue, bourgeoisie, bijoux, déclassé, vichyssoise, amour are also some of the many French words which are equally melodic and beautiful.
“It has always been a marvel to me – that French language; it has always been a puzzle to me. How beautiful that language is! How expressive it seems to be! How full of grace it is!” – Mark Twain.